Pages

Tuesday 19 January 2010

My Favourite Things Part 4

My favourite song.

This is one of those favourites that might change tomorrow, but I finally decided on this song because I’ve loved it since I was a teenager and I still love it. You’ll notice that I’ve not done a post on my favourite singer. That’s because I’ve already mentioned him here. This song isn’t one of his, though I know he’d sing it brilliantly. But I think the charm of this song, for me, is that I don’t think much of Joe Cocker as a singer (I’m dodging the bricks and rotten eggs here). Ironically, it’s that fact that makes ‘You are so beautiful’ the song it is.

I wasn’t a beautiful teenager – overweight, bad skin, no self-confidence at all. But here was a man, rough and imperfect himself, singing that I was so beautiful to him. It was those last two words that really made the song for me. He didn’t care what anyone else thought of the girl he loved. He thought she was beautiful and that was all that mattered. It wasn’t necessarily physical beauty. As a 15-year-old it gave me hope that someday, someone would see me that way.

And that high note at the end, that poor old Joe could never quite hit? Perfect!

No comments: