Pages

Wednesday 7 April 2010

Once upon a dream.


As a fan of Paulo Coelho, I’ve been getting daily quotes from him on Facebook. Recently a lot of his quotes have been about dreams. Yesterday’s really struck a chord with me –

“If you have a dream, don't waste your energies explaining why.”

A few weeks ago, I spent quite some time feeling torn, because when I’d enthusiastically explained my plans to someone, they didn’t exactly laugh, but they may as well have done. They asked questions, but they were asked with an air of amusement and their look said very plainly, “you poor dear, you really are a bit mad aren’t you?” Suddenly I felt silly. All the joy of what I was doing fell into a pit.

It took me days to realise that it really didn’t matter what they thought. This was my dream, not theirs and I didn’t have to vindicate it. How can we expect someone else to understand our hopes and aspirations? They are, after all, the result of our own experiences and there is no one else in the world who knows all of those, except us. I’ve come to the conclusion that the best people to have around in life are the ones who don’t ask why, just share in the hope and the joy. I’ve been married to a lovely man who does just that, for twenty-one years. I’m pretty lucky really.

I teach my kids that as long as what they want to do is not going to hurt or inconvenience anyone else, or themselves, then they should go for it, no matter what anyone else thinks. Funny, isn’t it, how we forget what we teach our kids when it comes to ourselves?

10 comments:

joanne fox said...

Hi Kate - I've given you a Beautiful Blogger Award! See my blog for the full story.

Rena Jones said...

Yes, it's so easy to forget what we teach our kids. And it's even more easy to fall into the pit when someone dashes our hopes. Good luck, Kate, and I hope all your dreams come true!

Dianne said...

I like your lollypop motto. My own refers to aspirations and is taken from a line in a song from 'South Pacific'.

"If you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?"

You go for it and don't let anyone bring you down.

Kate said...

Ooh, thanks Joanne! I'll have to start thinking of who to send it on to!

Thanks, Rena! Still working on that particular dream.

Dianne - now I'm going to have to go and work out which song that comes from!

Joan Reeves said...

Hi, Kate! Thanks for signing up to follow Sling Words.

As to dreamers, my goodness! Where would the world be without dreamers? We'd all still be living in caves and trying to figure out how to find enough food to eat.

Dreamers give us not just books, art, and music, but our science, technology, and everything from the car in our garages to the ready food supply.

Nothing is created without a spark in some dreamer's head.

Dream more. Dream bigger, and pity the person who has no dream because they live an incomplete life.

Best wishes,
Joan Reeves

Kate said...

Too true, Joan. Thanks for visiting and joining my blog!

http://huggznstuff.blogspot.com/ said...

Hi Katie,
i love your blog-site, truly loveeee it.

my mother always told me, "you have to dream, it is good for you," i did not really know what she meant since i was just a little kid when she said this to me but she encouraged any dream that made me feel good about myslef and the world around me. It's too late to ask her or tell her about my 'persoanl dreams'she was so young when i lost her.

Years later, i have read quotes, sayings, excepts from well-known people who state that it is so very 'healthy to dream' and i do believe that is true.

again, great, great blog site... i love it.

huggz,
randi

Kate said...

Thanks, Randi!

Unknown said...

That's a lovely way to put it, Kate. Everyone should have a dream and should let others have theirs.

People usually laughed at my funny stories, but when I started taking my writing seriously, some laughed at me. Hopefully, I'll have the last laugh, when I get published.

Kate said...

OF course you'll have the last laugh, Trish. Just keep sending it off and revising and one day you'll be able to say 'See, not so funny, is it?'