Pages

Tuesday 10 January 2012

A perfect present for a writer of fantasy

I’d like to introduce you to a new friend of mine. I haven’t known him long, only three weeks or so. I don’t even know his name, but from the moment we got together, he has had a special place in my heart.


This old fellow was my children’s Christmas present to me. No commonplace box of chocolates or pretty vase for them. Their mum writes fantasy stories about wizards and dragons, so how could they go past this? Actually, we did go past it once. Sausage and I walked past it when we were out shopping one day and Sausage said, “Oh look at that wizard, Mum.” I seem to remember saying something like, “Yes, he’s lovely.” That was enough. My children went shopping and the wizard mysteriously disappeared from the shelf.




I love him. Not because he’s beautiful (though he does look rather awesome with his globe alight, doesn’t he?) but  more for the look on my kids’ faces when they gave it to me. Love and pride. I’m a writer. In their eyes, this wizard was made for me. He will live on the top of the piano for many years to come. He'll weave his magic spells and make me write. How dare I not, with a wizard and a dragon glaring at me like that?






As you can see, this is not the first dragon to come into the house either. They're not all mine. I'm not the only dragon lover in the house. 


1 comment:

M Norton said...

LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!