Wednesday, 7 November 2012

NaNoWriMo update #1

Day 7 of NaNoWriMo, so I thought I'd do a quick update to let you know how it's going. I got off to a good start and by the end of Day 3 I had 9000 words. Then disaster struck. For future reference 'AutoSave' on Word is not infallible and the little blue 'save' button at the top does not always work. So when I went to save the 4000 words I'd written on Saturday, they all sailed happily into oblivion. Needless to say, I spent Sunday rewriting those 4000 words and then saving it
1. as a new document.
2. as a document in Dropbox.
3. as a document on my thumb drive.
4. as a document in Scrivener.

That should do it, I hope.

On the good side, rewriting did give me chance to change the story a bit and get a few extra story threads going, so it wasn't all bad.

I've just gone past 15000 words after a day off work, but I have to go back tomorrow and I have a meeting after work and another in the evening, so tomorrow will be pretty much a write-off (haha...there's a pun if ever I saw one). Still, not too bad for Week 1.

2 comments:

Eliseo Mauas Pinto said...

Greetings from abroad Katie... I imagine how desperate and desolate you were! Alas!... If ever this happens to you once again... Word usually autosaves the document on a TEMP file in your Hard Drive, anyway I don't rely much in Hardwares neither in Softwares!..hehe... I use to make a back up on any removal storage device... Hope your new story will finally see the light soon!
Keep up the sacred fire as always...
Bright blessings ☼

Kate said...

Unfortunately, Eliseo, Word didn't autosave. Not once all day! So there was no autosaved document at all. I even downloaded a programme that finds lost documents, but it couldn't find anything. I stayed up until midnight searching. All gone. :(