Pages

Wednesday 17 June 2009

Best mates

I’ve had a very sad little boy this week. He’d spent the weekend with his best friend in the whole world, but of course the weekend had to end and he had to say goodbye again. M is no ordinary friend. They first started playing with each other as babies because Eldest was friends with M’s eldest brother. So while I enjoyed a coffee with his mum and Eldest and Big Brother played, Dynamo and M would chew toys together on the floor. When they got to Kindy they clung to each other for support. It got so bad that if one was sick, the other would refuse to go. Despite our best efforts to encourage them to make other friends, they still just seemed to enjoy each other’s company.

Then two and a half years ago, M’s dad took a job a thousand kilometres away (literally). I thought Dynamo would never get over it, but he did make other friends eventually. M and his family visited briefly a year later, but this Christmas we missed them because we were on holidays when they came down. So last week, M and his mum came down for a week and M stayed with us for the weekend. It was unbelievable how the two just took up where they’d left off. There was no sign of embarrassment that kids tend to have when they haven’t seen someone for a long time. They just ran off to play like old times and they didn’t stop talking or smiling all weekend.

I never had a friend like that as a child. We moved around too much. But it hurts to see how hard it is for these two to have to say goodbye. The hope is that one day they’ll come back to live here. I wait for that day. Not just for Dynamo’s sake either. I really miss M’s mum as a friend too.

6 comments:

Angela Ackerman said...

That's too bad, but on the up side, it's so much easier to keep in touch with email and such. Maybe they can send each other letters?

C.R. Evers said...

awwww, how sweet. (((hugs)))

Brenda said...

{{Hugs}} for Dynamo...Do they keep in touch with letters? My nephew had sort of this same situation and being kids the boys didn't like to write, so their moms would put together videos and pictures and have the boys tape messages to each other...sort of like a little boys video diary...then once a month they mailed out this package of tapes, pictures, etc. The boys really liked getting their goody package and my nephew would call everyone to let us know what P had done that month...

Kate said...

They do send letters and emails, but it's just not the same as building a secret base together or being soldiers or watching movies or playing on the computer. We do phone occasionally too, but then M's mum and I talk for hours too!

Goldie Jell said...

Isn't it great that Dynamo has such a good friend when he is so young? Some people live a lifetime without a special friend. It must be a bit lonely I think. I hope he gets to see M again soon. Thanks too for your birthday wishes, Kate. I've only just gotten my computer back from the computer man plus have had a horrible bug that put me out of action. Haven't posted anything to my blog yet. I've been wading my way through the many many emails.

Kate said...

Good to see you back, Goldie. Sorry you've been sick, but I'm glad your computer is over whatever was ailing it.